Local + Organic Food in Arkansas
Shopping for local and organic food in Mountain View, Arkansas can be challenging, especially if you’re looking for organics. This is why I make frequent treks to Izard and Baxter Counties – thankfully though, there are quite a few options in Stone County! In addition to our typical grocers, Wal-Mart and Harp’s (both are in town), we have an amazing health food store and several market stands that sell both local and brought-in produce. I’ve added website or Google Map links to most of the places below to help you find them easily!
1. Mountain View Region
Stone Ground Natural Foods, 422 Sylamore Ave
(870) 269-8164. Health Food Store with specialty organic grocery items, vitamins, and supplements. Plus you’ll meet two incredibly sweet souls, Janice & Solomon are Mountain View treasures and possess a wealth of knowledge to help keep us healthy.
Vegetable Stand, Main St
Across from Ford Dealership (past the light at Hwy’s 5, 9, and 14). Look for the big watermelon sign. Some local organic foods, some brought in. Be on the lookout for Cave City cantaloupe and watermelon, which are highly recommended and sought-after. Any fresh blueberries in season are locally grown.
North Arkansas Farm Supply, 1006 W. Main St
(870) 269-3356. More Mountain View pride showing here! Our local Farm Co-Op has joined hands with our small community egg producers to offer us local farm fresh eggs! Take a close look around because they also stock tasty local organic honey!
Service Street Market, Main St
This side street is located to the west of Main Street. You’ll often find vendors selling organic fruit and vegetables on this service road on the east side of town. Also, here you can usually find the famous Cave City melons for sale, if they’re in season!
Varner Fruit & Vegetable Stand, corner of Union + Main
Owned by David and Peggy Varner on the corner of Union and Main (299 S Union Avenue, one-way street). Fruit and Vegetable Stand. Some produce is local, some brought in, including Cave City melons. Open 7 days a week.
2. Heber Springs // Little Red River Region
Ozark Country Market, 999 Heber Springs Rd S, Heber Springs.
(501) 206-0127. This is your little market on top of the mountain specializing in local Made in Arkansas and Amish goods! Excellent foods, Old Mill Breads, local produce, gorgeous plants & artisan housewares!
Perfect if you’re staying in one of our properties in the Red River Region.
3. Calico Rock Territory // Mountain Home
Crossroads Gardens, County Road 17 West, Pineville
(870) 297-4216. Fifth-generation family-owned farm that uses organic methods and practices. Highly Recommended. Please call to check hours. This is buying directly at the farm so they’re also out working in the fields and selling at Farmer’s Markets which means there aren’t always set hours. GPS didn’t work for me. Ask for directions when you call. Not far from County Line Liquor in Jordan, AR if you’re also headed that way.
Farmers Market on the Square, 1 E 7th Street, Mountain Home
Starts 7am on Saturday Mornings (Crossroads Gardens also sells here and often sell out. Be the early bird!)
The Truck Patch Mountain Home, 1602 Highway 62 E, Mountain Home
(870) 424-5020. Full-Service Grocery store offering local produce, organic produce, organic dairy, local, grass-fed beef, humanely raised meats, organic meats, sustainable seafood, bulk grains, beans, and a huge variety of health food products and hard-to-find gourmet items.
4. Batesville Area
(~45 minute drive from Mountain View)
(844) 462-4482. Open on the FIRST and THIRD Saturdays from May-October, 8 AM-noon. Located at The Pocket Park (on Main, across the street from Landers Theater). Local growers, artisans, and music. View their vendor directory here: https://batesvillefarmersmarket.com/
Garden Girl Farm Fresh Produce & More, 6990 Batesville Blvd Pleasant Plains, AR
(870) 613-4588. Fresh, local, and seasonal fruits in Pleasant Plains – chemical free! Growing using organic methods to produce heirloom tomatoes, onions, peppers, potatoes, and lettuce. Blueberries, blackberries, peaches! You’ll also find free-range beef, pork, chicken, and even fresh cheese! Keep on eye on their Facebook page as they are always doing pop-up events!